Re: (comp) fbiterm and Japanese (and French...)

> Now I need to figure out a number of things that are not exactly
> clear:

> 1) My keyboard is roughly a jp106. How can configure the system to be
> able to input French with as little hassle as possible ?

> 2) Second input question: I need Japanese input. What is the input
> method that works the best with fbiterm ? And will all applications
> running in fbiterm accept the input. Are there still applications that
> do not support UTF-8 input/display ?

You might want to consider using emacs on console to do your work.
Install emacs21 and mule-ucs.  On Debian Sarge you will need to define
some environment variable to actually activate mule-ucs (see
/usr/share/doc/mule-ucs/README.Debian or Changelog)

In emacs, enter M-x set-terminal-coding-system <Ret> utf-8 <Ret> to
enable emacs to output japanese characters on your console.

To input japanese, enter M-x set-input-method <Ret> japanese <Ret>

To input french, you might try
M-x set-input-method <Ret> french-prefix <Ret>

If you need a console with japanese input, just run a console from
within emacs:  M-x shell <Ret>
or probably better:  M-x eshell <Ret>

To enter M-x (Meta-x) from the console, you might have to press the
sequence <Esc> x instead.

If you need a more evolved input method than the emacs-internal
"japanese", try to install anthy and anthy-el.  Then configure anthy for
japanese input.  This should work much better.

To view the documentation of emacs' internal japanese input method,
enter

M-x describe-input-method <Ret> japanese <Ret>

regards,

David