(comp) fbiterm and Japanese (and French...)

I am in the process of installing Debian on a 5 years old PowerBook (Titanium 667mgz) and since configuring X is still a pain in the butt I decided to stay in console mode.

I checked the web a little bit and found that if I wanted to be able to do multilingual work smoothly I needed either jfbterm or fbiterm. I opted for the later after seeing that development on the former was stalled and proceeded with install.

Although I am not sure whether that mattered or not, I created 3 UTF-8 based locales: en_GB / ja_JP and fr_FR@euro and selected the later as my default locale.

I tried MC in fbiterm in the fr_FR.UTF-8 locale and it worked like a charm. There are a few glitches but much less than when displaying under unicode_start.

Now I need to figure out a number of things that are not exactly clear:

1) My keyboard is roughly a jp106. How can configure the system to be able to input French with as little hassle as possible ?

2) Second input question: I need Japanese input. What is the input method that works the best with fbiterm ? And will all applications running in fbiterm accept the input. Are there still applications that do not support UTF-8 input/display ?

3) Are the fonts installed with fbiterm enough to display Japanese and French at least ?

Thanks in advance.

Jean-Christophe Helary