Re: Lexical order of Hiragana/Katakana?

Hi,

From: KURASAWA Nozomu <nabetaro@mx1.avis.ne.jp>
Subject: Re: Lexical order of Hiragana/Katakana?
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:32:08 +0900

> Yes, In Code-table order small kana come before normal ("big") kana.
> But In lexical order I (usually) do NOT make  a distinction between
> small and normal.
>
> e.g.
> きつく < きっと

I have a Japanese dictionary "Shincho Gendai Kokugo Jiten" (first edition).
 http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/4107302148/249-1250973-6802717
 (This page shows the second edition).
Here shows a part of rules which the dictionary has.

1. Order words by IGNORING distinction between big/small (like
   つ/っ), normal/dakuten/handakuten (は/ば/ぱ), hiragana/katakana
   (あ/ア).
2. Additional rules of
    a. normal first, dakuten next, handakuten final
       (は -> ば -> ぱ)
    b. big first and small next (つ -> っ)
   and so on are considered ONLY when order is same in the rule 1.

あつい -> あっか -> あつかう -> あつがみ -> あつかわ -> あっかん

I have used several Japanese dictionaries since I was a small child
and I think this is a common set of rules for most of Japanese dictionaries.

I have an impression that other small rules (hiragana/katakana, handling
of "ー", and so on) may differ between dictionaries but I may be wrong.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/