Re: Lexical order of Hiragana/Katakana?

On 22/07/2004, at 9:15 PM, Changwoo Ryu wrote:

I want to ask about the lexical order of Hiragana/Katakana.

In the Unicode Hiragana [1] /Katakana [2] charts, every "small" letters
appear just before their "big" ones.  For example (UTF-8 warning),

ぁあぃい...っつ

"imhangul" and "nabi" Korean input methods provide Hiragana/Katakana
input
for convenience.  They follow these Unicode orders for the
Hiragana/Katakata list.

(In "nabi" (1) switch to Hangul mode and (2) type "g" and F9.
In "imhangul" (2) switch to Hangul mode and (2) type"E" and F9.)

But I thought big ones should appear first..  I know a little Japanese
and know that
the small letters are used less than the big ones.  What is the typical
lexical order
of the big letters and the small letters?

The lexical order is あ(a) to ん(nn) then small ones then the ones like がぎぐげご
(ga gi gu ge go) then ぱぴぷぺぽ (pa pi pu pe po)  and that's how it should
be ordered.

[1] http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U3040.pdf
[2] http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U30A0.pdf

--