Re: trouble with ntt-jtex and dvips

On Sun, Jun 01, 2003 at 02:09:43PM +0200, David Kuehling wrote:
> I just don't seem to get the best printouts out of my documents typeset
> with ntt-jtex/jlatex.  What proved to work, even in Potato was jlatex in
> conjunction with `dvi2ps'.  Unfortunately `dvi2ps' seems to embed fonts
> as bitmap-fonts which makes the output file large, makes rendering in gv
> slow and ugly and forces me to decide which printer resolution I'm going
> to use the ps file for.  That's also a problem if I'm going to
> postprocess the PS files with scaling operations like `psnup' or
> `psbook'.

> Later with Debian Woody I realized, that `dvips' (note the difference,
> that's not `dvi_2_ps') is also capable of processing japanese DVI files.
> The resulting PS files look much nicer and are rendered with ttf fonts
> in `gv'.  I'm not sure whether the japanese fonts are embedded by dvips
> or not.  The files produced by dvips are also much smaller.

> But when I send those files to a printer, either a PostScript printer or
> my CUPS-driven Epson inkjet, all japanese characters display as garbage.
> For every kanji there are two normal latin characters in the prints.
>
> Using `dvi2dvi' to filter the DVI files doesn't help.  What works is
> `ps2ps' which just runs gs to rewrite the PostScript file.  But the
> resulting file is bloated with the japanese fonts embedded as bitmap
> fonts, looks very ugly when displayed with gv.

> Does anybody have some helpful comments?

This might sound daft at face value, but I found that making
things into _PDFs_ worked quite nicely... Using dvipdfmx.

Sadly, the files get bloated with embedded (but scalable)
fonts. As soon as I work out how to make dvipdfmx not embed
fonts that are in the Adobe Japanese support pack, I'll be
satisfied.

In the meantime, your files get bigger, but they both display
and print nicely. A friend told me that he managed to make a
nice PDF for printing out of a ps file, and that PDFing it
also pulled in the fonts he needed so he could print it
successfully. (Which he wasn't able to do with the ps alone)

I'm interested in the other end of your setup, with jlatex.
I've had all kinds of fun trying to make latex of various
flavours work in Japanese (There's stuff from me a few months
back on this list) and I have terrible trouble with fonts...

If you have a template file/process you use, I'd be most
thankful if you would share. :-)

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

use, duplication and distribution.