trouble with ntt-jtex and dvips

Hi,

I just don't seem to get the best printouts out of my documents typeset
with ntt-jtex/jlatex.  What proved to work, even in Potato was jlatex in
conjunction with `dvi2ps'.  Unfortunately `dvi2ps' seems to embed fonts
as bitmap-fonts which makes the output file large, makes rendering in gv
slow and ugly and forces me to decide which printer resolution I'm going
to use the ps file for.  That's also a problem if I'm going to
postprocess the PS files with scaling operations like `psnup' or
`psbook'.

Later with Debian Woody I realized, that `dvips' (note the difference,
that's not `dvi_2_ps') is also capable of processing japanese DVI files.
The resulting PS files look much nicer and are rendered with ttf fonts
in `gv'.  I'm not sure whether the japanese fonts are embedded by dvips
or not.  The files produced by dvips are also much smaller.

But when I send those files to a printer, either a PostScript printer or
my CUPS-driven Epson inkjet, all japanese characters display as garbage.
For every kanji there are two normal latin characters in the prints.

Using `dvi2dvi' to filter the DVI files doesn't help.  What works is
`ps2ps' which just runs gs to rewrite the PostScript file.  But the
resulting file is bloated with the japanese fonts embedded as bitmap
fonts, looks very ugly when displayed with gv.

Does anybody have some helpful comments?

thanks in advance,

David