Re: Why is Printing Broken? was Re: Howto set-up debian woody for Japanese

Jan Willem Stumpel <jstumpel@planet.nl> immo vero scripsit:

>   > What do you mean by "I could not print anymore" ?
>
> I selected the kochi font in mozilla, printed a Japanese e-mail
> message (to a file, for reading with gv actually -- this is much
> faster than actually printing to paper, when you are
> experimenting), and just got a lot of error messages from
> ghostscript.
>
>   > Do you have psfontmgr installed ?
>
> Yes. I have. But I have no idea what it does. There is no man
> page. The stuff in /usr/share/doc/psfontmngr is again
> aimed at insiders, not at users. This must be another "manager"
> of which I'd like to know what it is supposed to manage.
> There is a major documentation problem in the font area, IMHO..

defoma is written by one person, and he is allegedly
the only person who knows how everything is supposed to work.
They are supposed to generate PS font database and
fonts.dir etc. for ttf according to information found in
/etc/defoma/hints/, provided by other packages.

Anyway, I think there are two different problems you are experiencing.
Basically, you are having problems parsing japanese text with gv.

Do you have the following packages installed ? :

gs-cjk-resource
gs
cmap-adobe-japan1
cmap-adobe-japan2

regards,
	junichi

--
dancer@debian.org : Junichi Uekawa   http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer
GPG Fingerprint : 17D6 120E 4455 1832 9423  7447 3059 BF92 CD37 56F4