Re: Why is Printing Broken? was Re: Howto set-up debian woody for Japanese

Junichi Uekawa wrote:

Okay, the [defoma] instructions:
[..]

I did this. Nothing changed. Then I renamed the directory where my
MS truetype kanji fonts are. Then the display of Japanese
characters changed a bit, and the kochi fonts were shown in
Mozilla, preferences, appearance, fonts. So somehow, until the directory was renamed, the MS fonts were still being used. And afterwards, although Mozilla saw the kochi fonts, Openoffice did
not see them (just lost the MS fonts).

And with the kochi fonts I could not print anymore.. Is this to be expected? Actually I have no idea what defoma is supposed to do.
It is a "font manager", but what does this mean? What exactly does
it manage?

Is there any connection between msttcorefonts and defoma, for instance? I do not find any trace of the msttcorefonts in /var/lib/defoma or its subdirectories.

I also tried the following:

-- (apt-get remove) removing defoma. This is impossible, because
   lots of other things depend on it.
-- (rm) removing /etc/X11/XftConfig. This makes no difference
   whatsoever. At least that simplifies things a bit.

I wish this font business was a bit easier.

Regards, Jan