Gnome with X4 and libc6 2.2

I have been trying to setup the Japanese character support in gnome.
I previously had Japanese menus support and character entry using
kinput2 before upgrading to X4.0.1 and libc 2.2

I have setup the ja_JP.EUC-JP EUC-JP locale in /etc/locale.gen using
locale-gen and have been using the same settings generated by
set-language-env that previously worked.

Japanese error messages display correctly in a kterm but when running
gnome applications all the japanese menus appear grabled and the
warning message

Gdk-WARNING **: Missing charsets in FontSet creation
Gdk-WARNING **:     ISO8859-1
Gdk-WARNING **:     JISX0208.1983-0
Gdk-WARNING **:     JISX0201.1976-0

appears.  I have checked the file

and I all the specified fonts are installed on the system.

Does anyone have any sugestions?

Edward Middleton