Re: mutt, xemacs, and kterm
Josh Huber <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> I'm having a couple of problems with xemacs. I've set it up in the
> past for editing Japanese text (using canna for input, I believe), but
> I'm having trouble with the font it's choosing to use now. xemacs -nw
> uses text mode (inside kterm) which uses a readable font.
I suspect that this may not actually be a xemacs specific problem but a font
scaling problem. Try setting your X server to :noscale the Japanese
fonts. Another thing to try would be to set up a font in your Xresources
> My last problem is with replying to email with xemacs. If the email
> has contents that contain Japanese text, that text is garbeled, and
> doesn't display properly. However, if I insert Japanese into that
> message the new characters are displayed properly. I'm not sure where
> this problem lies, as opening a file that contains japanese text works
> fine, but not when executed through mutt.
It sounds like a character encoding problem that you are having. I don't know
whether mutt-ja attempts to translate the character encoding before passing
the buffer to the editor. You could try M-x set-file-coding-system and then
one of (sjis, japanese-euc, iso-2022-jp), followed by M-x revert-buffer.
Personally, I find it simpler to read and reply to Japanese email using gnus
under xemacs-mule. By adding (load "mime-setup") to your .emacs, you can get
gnus to use the correct character encoding for the message you are receiving
from the charset MIME header. But then, I'm not a mutt fan.
Hope this helps,
Michael Eng, Division of Informatics, The University of Edinburgh
Email: email@example.com Web: http://ukug.freebsd.org.uk/~eng/
Phone: +44 771 4445848 (hp) Fax: +44 7092 032014