Pre-ITP/RFC: Ng - editor that can handle CJK & Latin.

[ Sorry for cross-posting. Please honor the Reply-To.  ]

Hello, there.

Ng stands for Nihongo Mg, MicroGnuEmacs. Mg appeared more than 10 years ago,
and seems to be unmaintained now, while Ng, Japanized version of Mg has
been well maintained and improved.

Ng is yet another Emacs-like editor. It is console-based, lightweight,
easy to use, has familiar key-bindings, and occupies less memory.
The most attractive feature of Ng is that it can handle multibyte
characters such as Japanese Kana, Kanji(Hanji) and Hangul, as well
as singlebyte characters such as ASCII and Latin characters.

Talking of CJK support of Ng, it can handle ISO-2022-JP, Shift-JIS,
EUC-JP as well as EUC-KR and EUC-CN(GB2312). Those who are familiar
with coding system may have got the feeling that the support of
Chinese and Korean coding systems is not enough for some points.

I guess there're otner coding systems that are used to encode
Chinese and Korean texts. For example, There're three well-known coding
systems that are used to encode Japanese texts, which are ISO-2022-JP,
Shift-JIS and EUC-JP. These three coding systems are easy to convert
from one to another, and easy to detect which coding system is used.
I guess the same idea would be applied to Chinese and Korean.
So please let me know what should be done to improve the support of
Chinese and Korean. What coding system is used for Chinese and Korean
texts other than EUC, and how to detect the coding system would be a great
help.

In addition, Ng cannot handle the whole content of EUC-CN(CNS 11643-1/2),
used in Taiwan. Ng can handle only about the half part of it, so i didn't say
Ng can handle EUC-CN(CNS 11643).
I wonder there's any demand for the support of this.
In fact, Ng also cannot handle the whole content of EUC-JP, but for
general use of Kanji, it doesn't matter so i said it can handle EUC-JP.

BTW, Ng can also handle Latin characters, as already mentioned above.
It can handle ISO-8859-1, 2, 3, 4, ... i'm not sure where to stop the
numbering :) Anyway, it can handle all of Latin charsets. However,
i'm not sure how to input the characters like á, û, and ë, and whether
input method of these characters is included in this editor or not.
I hope those who use Latin charsets will tell me if the Latin support of
Ng is enough.

Finally, the priority of Ng as alternatives of editor is set to 80.
I'm not sure this value is desirable or not.

Packages are splitted into four packages, ng-common, ng-latin, ng-cjk, and
ng-cjk-canna. These are available at:
	deb http://arashi.debian.or.jp/~take/debian ./
	deb-src http://arashi.debian.or.jp/~take/debian ./

As mentioned above, i have several questions, and want the answers before
announcing ITP and upload it. Please give me a comment.

Regards,

--
Yasuhiro TAKE <take@debian.or.jp> / Debian JP Project

	"I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all."