Re: RISC-V: quanta parte del processore ha licenza libera?

> io lo vedo l'articolo, ma è davvero stringato

Ok, anch'io. Non lo chiamo articolo, per me e` l'occhiello del video.

> purtroppo io conosco poco di hardware e non ho capito cosa intendi per
> "rema contro".

Tutti sono entusiasti di risc-V perche` e` libero, mentre la tesi di
Andreas Speiss e` che la parte libera e` trascurabile sul totale e i
chip li trovi fatti dai soliti vendor che prendono un pezzo libero e
lo blindano nel loro mondo proprietario.

E` vero, ma non ci sono solo loro.

>> Inoltre riscV e` l'unica architettura gia` definita nella sua versione
>> a 128 bit.
>
> questo lo avevo visto e mi ero stupito... ma non avevo indagato oltre

Cito sotto.

> A 128-bit port is simply not realistic at this time.
> https://wiki.debian.org/RISC-V

Certo. Non e` un problema di risc-V, e` il mondo che non e` pronto.

Sull'idea di avere un 128 bit gia` definito, cito la specifica
dell'architettura:

   Although 64-bit address spaces are a requirement for larger systems,
   we believe 32-bit address spaces will remain adequate for many
   embedded and client devices for decades to come and will be desirable
   to lower memory traffic and energy consumption. In addition, 32-bit
   address spaces are sufficient for educational purposes. A larger flat
   128-bit address space might eventually be required, so we ensured this
   could be accommodated within the RISC-V ISA framework.

E piu` avanti:

   The primary reason to extend integer register width is to support
   larger address spaces. It is not clear when a flat address space
   larger than 64 bits will be required. At the time of writing, the
   fastest supercomputer in the world as measured by the Top500 benchmark
   had over 1 PB of DRAM, and would require over 50 bits of address space
   if all the DRAM resided in a single address space. Some
   warehouse-scale computers already contain even larger quantities of
   DRAM, and new dense solid-state non-volatile memories and fast
   interconnect technologies might drive a demand for even larger memory
   spaces. Exascale systems research is targeting 100 PB memory systems,
   which occupy 57 bits of address space. At historic rates of growth, it
   is possible that greater than 64 bits of address space might be
   required before 2030.  History suggests that whenever it becomes clear
   that more than 64 bits of address space is needed, architects will
   repeat intensive debates about alternatives to extending the address
   space, including segmentation, 96-bit address spaces, and software
   workarounds, until, finally, flat 128- bit address spaces will be
   adopted as the simplest and best solution.  We have not frozen the
   RV128 spec at this time, as there might be need to evolve the design
   based on actual usage of 128-bit address spaces.

Non ho parole. Chapeau.

saluti
/alessandro