Asunto: Interest for Debian Women group presence @ Linux Day 2016 in
Modena.
Fecha: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 16:40:32 +0100
De: Riccardo Lancellotti <riccardo.lancellotti@unimore.it>
Para: Laura Arjona <larjona@larjona.net>
CC: Claudia Canali <claudia.canali@unimore.it>

Dear dr. Arjona,
I am a researcher at university of Modena and Reggio Emilia. I have
also been involved in the organization of the Linux Day event in Moden
for the past 11 years.
The Linux Day is a nation-wide Italian event typically held in the las
Saturday of October dedicated to promoting Free software, Open Source
and Open Content (the initial focus was much more technical but over
the years the attention shifted from highly technical topics to the
cultural impact of these technological solutions).

We are starting a brainstorming activity about the upcoming 2016 Linux
Day and a topic of interest that we would like to address this year is
the contribution of womens to the FOSS community.
Addressing this  topic at the Linux day is a step within a path our
research group and our university started a few years ago. As
engineering classes are typically a gender unbalanced environment, we
started to look for ways to promote a higher presence of womens in our
courses.
Multiple initiatives have been proposed to this aim.
For example, 2016 will be the year of the third edition of the "ragazz
digitali" summer camp (http://www.ragazzedigitali.it/), organized by
members of our research group.
Furthermore, my colleague Claudia Canali (in CC) is the coordinator of
the University of Modena research unit of a Horizon 2020 European
project titled Project EQUALIST "Gender Equality Plans for Information
Sciences and Technology Research Institutions" (currently in phase of
grant agreement with the EU) and will be contributing to the
organization of the Linux Day.

As long-term debian users, we really would like to ask you if someone
in the Debian Women group is interested in participating to the event
providing a presentation of her experience as a woman in the world of
FOSS in general and in the Debian community in particular.

Given the nature of the audience (mostly high school and university
students), and for budget reasons, we would be prefer to have an
Italian-speaking speaker possibly from Italy (it would be hard for us
to afford the expenses reimbursement of a long-range international
travel).

Please let me know if you are interested.
In the negative case, I ask you kindly if you can suggest me someone
else to contact.

- --
Best regards,
   Riccardo