Re: Oracle on Debian.. or Red Hat?

If you have any support from Oracle, it will be useless the moment they figure out you are not running their software on a supported OS. If you don't ever need their direct support (ie. open a case and send requested log files, etc), you may get away running Oracle on Debian.

I did it a long time ago, back in the 8i days. It ran better on Debian than on the supported Suse version we had to install it on later due to a manager's paranoia. Just be sure you are using the same library versions that the supported redhat offers. But test for yourself as Carlos suggests to be sure.

OTH, you may entice your sysadmins to play with redhat by suggesting them that being savvy in it may add value to their resumes.

If you choose to go the redhat way, I suggest you use the oracle version of redhat (oracle enterprise linux), as they've made it ridiculously easy to install and support their products (yum repos and a package called something like: oracle-install-ready.rpm).

 Good luck