Re: VirtualHost bandwidth management

Steven Jacobs wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> mod_log_sql seems interesting. I'll definately look into it.
>
> Concerning mod_cband, it has been removed from all repos because there
> is no upstream maintainer, and because it is buggy. I verified that the
> etch version does in fact not work. I didn't yet try recompiling, but
> I'm not too fond of recompiling anything, since it might break again
> when the system is upgraded.

> If you're looking for a partner in the development of the cband module,
> I'm afraid I won't be able to help (since I suck at programming)
>
> It does seem a good idea though to pick up where the former maintainer
> left of. For many users this was definately the top pick in bandwidth
> management for Apache. Making it work with MySQL would definately be a plus.

Just wanted to let people in this list know that there's a new home page
for mod_cband here:

http://codee.pl/cband.html

I did a forward-porting to Lenny, and the package is available for any
of you who want to try it out:

deb ftp://ftp.gplhost.com/debian lenny main
deb-src ftp://ftp.gplhost.com/debian lenny main

This is also the latest version, 0.9.7.5, when it was only 0.9.7.4.

Reading the documentation, I don't think it would be a good idea to use
MySQL as a score board backend, as I saw that it's possible to assign
one score board per user, which is a lot better than one per vhost (so
bandwidth can be assigned per user, and not per vhosts, which is what
you want to do in the case of multi-domain shared hosting).

Here's what I want to enforce in our control panel:

<CBandUser myUser>
	CBandSpeed 10Mbps 10 30
	CBandRemoteSpeed 2Mbps 3 3
	CBandLimit 100G # This one will vary depending on user quota
	CBandPeriod 4W
	CBandPeriodSlice 1W
	CBandExceededSpeed 32kbps 2 5
</CBandUser>
<VirtualHost firstvhost>
    CBandUser myUser
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost secondvhost>
    CBandUser myUser
</VirtualHost>

Steven, can you let me know if this is a correct setup? Can you also try
the package that I recompiled?

Thomas