Re: VirtualHost bandwidth management

Steven Jacobs wrote:
> Hi Maarten,
>
> I liked mod_cband, but further down in my post I explained the reasons
> why this module does not work anymore under Debian Lenny, nor the latest
> versions of Ubuntu.

How did you try? Did you actually try the binary module from Etch, or
did you try to recompile it? Did you go to the BTS to see why exactly
mod_cband has been removed?

This seems to be a very interesting piece of software. If it's gone from
Debian just because the old maintainer didn't had time or wish to
continue his work on it, then I'm willing to take over and maintain it.
But if it's because the module has (new) issues, then I don't know what
I can do. Can you try to find out what's going on? Maybe a quick email
to the old maintainer will help...

> I think I'm just gonna use mod_logio, parse the logs for each vhost and
> add this data to a database. This at least takes care of the accounting
> part. Users that ignore the fair use policy will get banned.

Then if you want to do this, you'd better off using mod_log_sql that I
maintain. It does the above but in real time, maintaining a monthly
score board for all domain names.

Now, seeing both mod_log_sql and mod_cband, I am seeing that it might be
possible to combine both 2 and make a unique one, that would be able to
both log into sql in a score board (so it's convenient for displaying
the score board to the user), and do bandwidth limiting.

All this is VERY interesting, and I think that gives us very good tracks
for improving our control panel. Thanks for raising this topic and
insisting in giving me the pointer of mod_cband!!!

Programming apache modules is a bit tricky, form my experience (I don't
really like doing it), and it needs a lot of testing to make sure that
there's no memory leaks, and stuffs like that. But the result can be
really cool. Steven, would you like to work with me together in the
development of a mod_cband + mod_log_sql in a single module? That would
be the dream tool for shared hosting bandwidth management! Are you able
to do C developments, or at least help?

Thomas