Re: Maximum number of available partitions on Debian GNU/Linux (lenny).

Thomas Goirand schrieb:

> If I'm not mistaking, the hard limit to 16 partition is in the MSDOS
> partitioning format, this is not a kernel limitation.

All SCSI disks are using the same major device number. Which device is
addressd is determined by the minor device number. This minor device
number is increased by 16 for every disk:

   disk     minor device number
   sda       0
   sdb      16
   sdc      32

The minor device number of partitions is calculated by adding the
partition number and the minor device number of the disk. So for sdc3 it
is 3 + 32 = 35.

So you are able to address 15 partitions, not more.

HTH,

Hans Peter