[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Web file manager suggestion needed

Am 2009-10-01 05:14:56, schrieb Thomas Goirand:
> Michelle Konzack wrote:
> > Am 2009-09-22 13:48:16, schrieb Thomas Goirand:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Because uploading thousands of files by FTP is both slow and stupid,
> > 
> > You are stupid, because you  can  not  upload  thousands  using  a  sick
> > webinterface.
> Right, which is why I want to be able to upload with an ftp client and
> then extract the tar.gz using the web tool. Thanks for saying that I'm
> stupid without even understanding the obvious, by the way.

I would NEVER allow such stuff, because you can kill a WHOLE server with
it...  You can start with 26 directories each one contain a  file  "FOO"
and 1 kBYte, then make in each subdirectory 26 other directories an put
the same file there...

Believe it, I will kill your server by eating your INODES!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many SysAdmins use 'df -i' if an error occur?

5 levels are eating arround 12 million inodes but only arround 40 MByte.

> Oh, was I so stupid that I didn't know what an FTP client was? Is that
> what you think?

It is a tool which is ALREADY in Windows, so user can use it easily...


> > Any GuiFTP Programs can edit files...
> That's not the point at all.

Why?  Your webclient can only edit textfiles, not others...
FTP-Client can edit ANY files using the appropriated program.

> > Thats YOUR problem.  And of course, they are all sick and slow.
> I don't think so. That's the issue of many people have a lot of pain
> uploading a big number of files using FTP, while uploading a tar.gz and
> extract it would be so fast compared to it.

I users can move files on the Harddisk, you assume, that YOUR users  are
to sick, to move files to a network drive?

> >> - identified and active upstream author that I can communicate with
> > 
> Why is that funny?

Most tools where once coded with the note  "It works for me!"  and  then
forgotten...  Some years ago I was at the  same  point  while  searching
some stuff for my website...

> >> - Good security history
> > 
> > Will never happen...
> Why?

MOST tools are coded in PHP and do  not  believe  (and  you  should  not
assume), the Debian Security Team is willing to maintain it in STABLE.

You say, you will maintain it, but this  happen  only  to  UNSTABLE  and
TESTING and the it is the responsability of the Security Team.

> >> - Widely used and tested
> > 
> > Impossibel...
> Why too?

Most tools (I found nearly 70) are not referenced everywhere, so, no one
can say it is widely used and tested.

> > ANY ISP do code there OWN stuff...
> The purpose here is to have something uploaded in Debian, did you
> understand that very point? I don't think so...

I think, YOU miss some points...

Such tools MUST be prooven to be stable and secure...

> There are ways using javascript, but yes, java or flash could be the way
> as well.

I am not sure, if the Security Team give the OK  for  JAVA-Applets/Flash

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

Linux-User #280138 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org/
##################### Debian GNU/Linux Consultant #####################
<http://www.tamay-dogan.net/>                 Michelle Konzack
<http://www.can4linux.org/>                   Apt. 917
<http://www.flexray4linux.org/>               50, rue de Soultz
Jabber linux4michelle@jabber.ccc.de           67100 Strabourg/France
IRC    #Debian (irc.icq.com)                  Tel. DE: +49 177 9351947
ICQ    #328449886                             Tel. FR: +33  6  61925193

Attachment: signature.pgp
Description: Digital signature

Reply to: