Re: tunnel between two debian hosts not working

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 17:18:18 +0800
Thomas Goirand <thomas@goirand.fr> wrote:

> Clayton wrote:
> > "debug1: Entering interactive session."
> >
> > then an attempt to browse to a web site which fails with
> >
> > "channel 1: open failed: administratively prohibited: open failed"
> >
> > I repeat, the same ssh client works with another server. Google is
> > not helpful so far, and I have yet to stumble on the magical recipe
> > to get this working server-side.
>
> I believe that you have ssh port forwarding / tunneling disabled in
> your sshd_config. Check for it, especially AllowTcpForwarding.

Doesn't seem to help, I am afraid. I even tried a reboot, in the
grasping at straws department. These are the additions I have made to
my stock sshd_config, so far in vain (yeah, I know, I probably really
don't want to turn on GatewayPorts):

GatewayPorts       yes
PermitTunnel       yes
AllowTcpForwarding yes

> By the way, you shouldn't advertise on a public list that you are
> doing such thing as bypassing the great firewall of China...

Everyone does it, even in China they don't have enough police to stop
that. For myself personally, my work would be severely impaired if I
could not get through somehow. They mainly take exception to
"subversive" content being posted on foreign websites. And I would
never admit to doing that. ;-)

I will take this opportunity to make a plug: it would sure be nice if
there were more Tor exit points in the outside world....

Thanks,
Clayton