Re: lenny rant

Hi:

I use a system where this is done. The admin chose to create separate
config files, ie copy the apache2.conf file. Then he wrote some init.d
scripts to run these apache2 instances using something like:

apache2 -f /etc/apache2/other.conf

This file in turn included files specific to its configuration.

A nice thing about apache2 is that everything is modular, so you can
have certain configurations load modules (ie the LoadModule directive)
while other configurations do not. Then you can have the same Apache
httpd install providing different services based on the config file.

And you can still apt-get update it.

I noticed some people on the list were being a bit... rude, perhaps,
in their response, but I think they raise a valid point... It's
important to keep software up to date if possible, especially when
Apache1 is no longer actively maintained (even if serious bug fixes
are applied). Apache2 is pretty awesome stuff, and in tradition with
their development process, it's been pretty secure/stable throughout.
I'm glad you're taking their suggestions to heart, namely, installing
Apache2 instead of trying to keep Apache1 installed indefinitely.

Hope this helps & best of luck.

Cheers,

Jonathan