Replacing a LVM / AoE / Infrastructure xen infrastruscture with an NFS based solution

Hello

I am managing a group of 20 xen domU which use the following storage model:

On the filer server each server has a LVM logical volume like /dev/vg/myserver.root-partition
Then the logical volume is exported with Aoe whith a commande
like
/usr/sbin/vbladed 1 2 eth1 /dev/vg/myserver.root-partition

On a separate server, the xen domU config files
contains a line like
disk = ['phy:etherd/e1.1,sda1,w']

Finally the domU itself contains the fstab entry to mount the root partition.

This works well, but I find the settings over complicated. I was thinking of migrating to a simpler model where the xen domU mounts his file system over NFS directly from a directory in the filer.

So insteaf of having LVM --> Aoe --> Xen config file --> domU fstab, I would just have to specify the mount point in the domU fstab like filer:/myserver/root when I have to provision a new domU.

The domU themeselves are running php/mysql webapps used internally, and do not get more than 10-20 concurrent users, so I don't they are very much I/O bound.

Is there anything that would speak against such a schema, apart the topic of NFS security ?

lg

Emmanuel

--

openForce Information Technology GesmbH