Re: ssh hangs

randall wrote:
>> hi all,
>> i have some server installed the other day, i did not do the install
>> myself and due to some language barriers it was kind of messy (my
>> chinese is not that well so we're testing an easy procedure to do this)
>> it was a simple minimal net install with an openssh-server, initially
>> it went well and i could log in without a problem. the server was
>> behind a DHCP routerand i installed the Etch amd64 Vserver-Kernel from
>> the repo.
>> then it was time for reboot and i could not login anymore....period.
>> actually i think it came back up again getting a new ip from the DHCP
>> router, after fixing that problem and port forwarding to the new
>> dynamic IP (and later static IP behind the router and finally static
>> IP on the net) i could not login from remote anymore.
>> not sure what but it just seems to hang, anybody had this before?
>> root@ubuntu:~# ssh -vv -p 10064
>> OpenSSH_4.7p1 Debian-8ubuntu1.2, OpenSSL 0.9.8g 19 Oct 2007
>> debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
>> debug1: Applying options for *
>> debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
>> debug1: Connecting to [] port 10064.
>> debug1: Connection established.
>> debug1: permanently_set_uid: 0/0
>> debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/identity type -1
>> debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
>> debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
> OK, reinstalled and still the same problem,
> this time connected directley to the net without the router and a static
> IP on eth3 using a intel 82540em card
> i can ping to the static IP from the outside.
> i can ping from the box to the net using IP numbers
> i can ssh till as far as above.
> i can not ping using domain names
> i can not download anything with wget
> i can not apt-get update with mirror names
> i can not apt-get with ip numbers
> the network details are as follows
> address
> netmask
> network
> broadcast
> gateway
> is this correct? most on this network are on DHCP and we are the only
> one who requested a static so i'm not sure if our ISP has done this
> correctly,  is the netmask correct?

This sounds like your /etc/resolv.conf is wrong, so you can't resolve
domain names. Remember that ssh will try to do a reverse DNS lookup, to
see what domain name you are using, and eventually use a ssh key. If you
can't resolve, this can take quite some time. So you might just WAIIIIT
for a long time, and it will work (my guess).

Also, now that I see the problem, this sounds like a debian-user
question... :)