Re: suddenly boot problems - unable to mount root FS

Seems like a damaged initrd file.

boot with install CD, go to console #2 (alt-f2),
1.- mkdir /target
2.- mount -t ext3 /dev/hda1 /target
3.- chroot /target
4.- mount -t proc proc proc
5.- dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-`uname -r`
6.- lilo -v or update-grub depending on which bootloader (lilo or grub)
you are using.
7.- reboot

If you don't get it to boot, repeat the procedure, check which  initrd
builder package (initramfs-tools or yaird)  you are using (dpkg
--get-selections | grep yaird) and install the other one (apt-get
install) just before step 5.

Good luck.

--
Diego Rodriguez