suddenly boot problems - unable to mount root FS

hi,
a server which was running for two years now without any problems doesn't boot anymore after energy-problem. crashed down, because usv was defekt.

first i thought, the harddisk is bad. starting the server with a live-cd (knoppix) works. fsck of the two partitions hda1 (root) and hda3 (data) said clean.

i i try to boot the system, i get the following error:

Kernel panic - not syncing : VFS: unable to mount root FS on unknown-block (3,1)

startscripts in /etc/rc... can not be executed.

the harddrive is the master on the first ide - channel. dvd-drive is master at the second ide-channel. ide-drivers are built in the kernel (no module).

in my opinion, the system tries to start from the dvd-drive -> (3,1). so i thought, i am very clever and changed hdd and dvd. if i try to boot with the devices changed, i get the folowing error ->

Kernel panic - not syncing : VFS: unable to mount root FS on unknown-block (0,0)

nice, it tries to start again from / on dvd. we didn't change anything on this machine. no updates, installations, ... it is just running in an intranet as a local server.

is here anybody who can help me or has any idea how to get this system wirking again? by the way - it is debian sarge.

thx for any idea and/or hint for a solution!

jens

--
W4/Webmaster
webmaster@w-4.de