Re: bind9 graphical admin interface

Adam McGreggor wrote:
On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 07:01:29PM +0200, randall wrote:
dear all,

i have some troubles with my ISP, its a small time ISP who manages the glassfiber connection for our office building and provides several services for the tennants. its a Ms shop with a point and click admin and i must say i' m not really impressed by his knowledge, not really a problem since i only need the internet connection and there is little that can go wrong there between me and the cisco router set up there by a professional provider....accept for 1 thing.....PTR records...

his software has a nice button that says do you want to create a PTR record but its simply not working.

What do dig/nslookup report?
NXDOMAIN
unless i dig @his.dns.server -x directly
his customers are complaining and so am i, and i'm just about ready trying to learn the basic principles of DNS to help this guy out a little.

Hum, if he's using Windows for DNS, is he using the standard MS Service,
if so, has he done it properly? ()
he's using some old needing to be replaced anyway java based commercial thingy with a Bind8 backbone, the records itself are properly set up according to db text files under C://bind/named.conf etc...

thats as far as i will go troubleshooting on Ms ;)
pretty sure i can set up a working bind for him but what i still need is a nice a click and go front-end so he can manage his zones properly for daily usage. there are plenty of options (http://www.debianadmin.com/bind-dns-server-web-interfacefrontend-or-gui-tools.html) for example.

The short answer is they're all as crap as each other, and don't give as
much power as $EDITOR and the configs/zonefiles.
i know, but try to explain that to a 50 year old born and raised GUI freak
p.s.
he's a decent bloke by the way, i happily drink a brewsky with ;)

hoping somebody has pleasant experiences with any of these and can give a positive recomandation

About the only graphical thing that didn't make my eyes bleed/brain
melt/panic at how crap it is has been Smbind (http://sourceforge.net/projects/smbind). YMMV.
highly appreciated!
But, the expected wisdom (i'd say) if folks don't know what they're
doing, they shouldn't be let loose with DNS.
i believe that goes for about anything, nevertheless my fate is being tested often enough to get practical about it. at least the positive point is that it forced me to learn another trick altough i'm not a master on the subject yet either.