Re: [OT] ATX-PSU and amperage on connectors...

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> I am designing (with the help of Dallas/Maxim, NXP and LM) new DC-ATX-
> PSU's (with 24V DC entry to use it in Photopholtaik-Systems) and was
> searching for the amperage of the connectors of an ATX-PSU.

Well, I recommend you go to extreme levels of output harmonics filtering,
that alone will increase system stability a damn great deal.  Some tests
using memory bit-rot testing a few years go (either by Ars Technica, or
Tom's, I don't recall) nicely illustrated why one would want to do so.

And don't think for a single moment that you are designing for linear loads.
Computers are !@#$!@#$#@$ unhelpful loads, and the more efficient the
power-saving features in use in a system, the worse its load profile is when
it comes to harmonics.

Yes.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX, look at the external links section.

> and what about the SATA and old HDD connectors?

Look for the SATA and PATA specifications, they are not ATX-related.

> How many ampers must a cable support?

Cable choice depends on cable length, and acceptable voltage drop at given
load levels.  And you need to factor in in-rush and start current too if
they are non-trivial (and they are non-trivial for disks, fans, and anything
with high-drain CPUs or huge ammounts of RAM).

> If you want to ask why I need more or less exact values I respond:

If you play the el-cheap-o game with the cables and electronics, you will
get "nice" surprises when your systems face their first thermal challenge on
the form of an unusual hot (or cool) day.

  Henrique Holschuh