Re: New Mailserver...

Am 2008-01-08 17:34:03, schrieb randall:
> i think you have a 1000 options here, but here is basically what i do
>
> the new barracude 7200.11 or es.2 disks are pretty competitive compared
> to the raptors in performance, and they also give you a lot more space
> for your Euro. (250GB for 74 Euro a piece) i personnally use 4 x 500GB
> in a RAID6 (about 100 something a piece)

But this HDD's are using PATA mechanik and have only a SATA2 Interface
attached.  I have had Seagates but they gaved up on my (professionel)
Mailserver after 10 month or something like this.

The Raptors have REAL SCSI-Mechanik and of course, the Raptors have
faster access to a maildir with several million messages as the Seagates.

I love the seagated for storage and for my Fileservers but Mailservers
will be too much for them.

> you might consider dropping the raid controller and go with linux
> software raid instead, altough the software raid will give you less

Forget it...  You can use Software-Raid in non-critical applications
but not on a System which must be 24/7 up and is used for automated
mailprocessing.  They are to many contras for the Software-Raid.

> performance, but you can sort of compensate this by spending an extra
> 100 or 200 on your processor instead (i use the q6600)
>
> besides personal preference and insight, you might want to re consider
> the software vs hardware raid, i just find the kernel more reliable and
> forgiving then any controller.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)