Re: Backup from huge Maildirs

On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 05:27:06PM +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> > try an experiment.  create three filesystems (you could temporarily re-use
> > your swap partition if you don't have any spare partitions on your system),
> > formatted as ext2/ext3, reiserfs, and xfs.  time the creation, listing, and
> > deletion of, say, 10000 small files in a directory on each fs.
>
> Ehm, the ${HOME} directories are stored on /dev/sdc5 while the Maildirs
> are all on /dev/sdb5 and symlinked into the ${HOME}.  So I have already
> seperated the load on the Drives, where /dev/sdc is a Raid-5 and /dev/sdb
> a Raid-1

WTF are you talking about? the experiment i suggested had nothing to do
with raid or spreading load over multiple drives. it was specifically
and solely about comparing the relative performance of different
filesystems WITH THE SAME WORK LOAD ON THE SAME HARDWARE.

like i said, different filesystems have different performance
characteristics. while it's possible to make semi-accurate
generalisations based on theory and/or prior experience, there is no
way of knowing for sure what will perform best for YOUR particular
workload on YOUR particular hardware and software combination without
benchmarking the various alternatives.

the rest of your message is too disjointed to even bother trying to
interpret. it's all over the place.

if you're going to ask for help then at least have the decency to
actually understand and evaluate any responses. otherwise, be sure to
note that you'll be dismissing out of hand any suggestion that doesnt
exactly duplicate what you're already doing so we'll know not to waste
our time trying to help.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>