Re: Backup from huge Maildirs

On Sep 2, 2007, at 9:06 AM, Michelle Konzack wrote:

It taks to much time (over 5 hours) to do incremental backup using the
rsync method.

Can anyone tell me a PERFECT solution to backup 60 Maildirs (maybe
increasing) which hold per $USER over 1 million files?

I don't think there's anything "perfect", but at the sizes you're at, a filesystem that understands snapshots might start to come in quite handy.

Someone else mentioned DRBD and LVM over the top of that, I'm not sure I'd go that far, but anything that could do a snapshot would be helpful...

- Make filesystem snapshot.
- Back up snapshot.

I haven't done enough with LVM snapshots to say anything at all about them with any great certainty, but I know that what you're trying to accomplish is simple/easy in the commercial Unix world with commercially-available filesystems (or in some cases even hardware) that can do fast filesystem snapshots. The NetApp Filers come to mind in hardware, Veritas filesystems come to mind in software / sometimes with "hardware assistance", so to speak.

Sun's ZFS filesystem also has shown promise, and has some other nifty benefits for the administration of the volumes under its control, but has recently been reported to have some serious performance issues with certain types of data.

Understandably, you're probably not looking to use commercial products to solve the problem.

--
Nate Duehr
nate@natetech.com