Re: Backup from huge Maildirs

From: mlists <mlists@deephosting.com>
Date:  Tue, 04 Sep 2007 01:01:28 +0200

>sorry for being totally unclear about this.
>
>I'm rsync'ing Maildirs from location1 to location2.
>On day1 all the new mails (which are in the "new" subdir) are transfered
>from loc1 to loc2. On day2 all these mails have been read and they're
>deleted from the backup (because they are not in "new" anymore) and
>re-transfered from loc1 to loc2, as they are now in subdir "cur".
>
>what I would like is for rsync to be smart and "see" that it's the same
>mail, only it has been moved from "new" to "cur".
>
>gr.
>tinus

You might check out BackupPC http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/

It uses rsync over ssh, keeping track of files by hash regardless of filename/path, so files that are moved around but otherwise not changed do not get transferred again. It also only stores one copy of duplicate files, which can save a lot of space, and has a neat web interface for day-to-day use (although the initial config, adding hosts, and other such tasks are done by editing config files.)

-jason