Re: two bind9 masters

Dan MacNeil schrieb:
We decided not to use bind's replication mechanism because it required us to add zones to each server by hand.
[snip]

Dominique Görsch wrote:
In my setup I use a small shell-script that parses named.conf for the master-entrys and generates the named.conf (with the slave entrys) for the slave servers. It distributes that generated file via ssh with keyauth and reloads the slaves.
> [snip]

I think the difference between the two approaches is that we:

	0) generate named.inc & zone files
	1) scp named.conf & zone files
	2) rndc reload the satellite servers

and many other people have a script:

	0) generate named.inc & zone files
	1)  scp/rsync named.conf
	2) rndc reload the satellite servers
	3) use the bind replication mechanism

I claim our approach is slightly simpler as we don't have to increment the serial# (perhaps done by SysCP) in the zone files and we have one less step. :->