Re: Amavis is not stable under Etch: why?

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> We have been running amavis under Sarge for YEARS (I believe from the
>> beginning until the end of the life of Sarge). We had no problems at
>> all, NOT EVEN ONE...
>>
>> But since we have upgraded nearly all our servers to Etch, we are
>> experiencing amavis to crash. When I do "ps ax | grep amavis" it's not
>> running any more, and I have to restart it manually.
>
> amavis, or amavisd-new?  There is *not* any package name "amavis" in Debian
> Etch.

amavisd-new

> If it is amavisd-new, did you update *all* the configuration, and left-over
> stuff like cron jobs, scripts, etc. that might not be part of the package,
> but rather added locally?

This problem is also present on NEW setup from scratch, not upgraded
from Sarge, it seems.

> Here, amavisd-new doesn't croak often.  In fact, I run several mailservers
> with it, and it didn't croack once since etch was released.  clamav, on the
> other hand...  argh.   But do notice I am not using any SQL databases or
> LDAP, and these have to be taken into account if amavisd-new is crashing.

We don't either.

> All in all, if you find a "it crashes!" bug in amavisd-new, I will try to
> fix it promptly.  I should have some hours of amavisd-new job time coming in
> the next few weeks.  But I *need* the proper debug information to find
> whatever is causing it to crash, and that means you will have to run it in
> debug mode and find exactly where it is croaking.  Either that, or you will
> have to find out what email makes it croak, and send it to me so that I can
> try to reproduce the issue.

I'd love to help, but I tried to make it verbose, and it's NOT AT ALL...
What do you recommend to make it print things in a log file?

Thomas