Re: i-ram vs. tmpfs (was: Re: Mail clustering)

On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 12:48 +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 02:35:59PM +0200, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> > On 05.04.07 22:19, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > > we're both saying NOT to use it as a swap device, but to put that 4GB
> > > RAM into the system instead (or as well as, if you need both).
> >
> > and I'm asking if you are sure that will not slow down your system speed.
> > The access to this memory will be slower than access to your main RAM,
> > because it's limited with PCI/SATA bus speed. Using that memory as RAM may
> > slow down your system.

It should slow it down.  DDR is capable of........1600Mbps?  Sata =
150Mb?

> I don't understand.  The i-RAM takes normal RAM.  If you're swapping
> then that normal RAM is best put in your motherboard as normal RAM,
> not in some funky RAM-as-SATA device to use as swap.
>
> > So I'm asking you again if you are sure that using i-RAM as direct memory
> > will not slow down your system as described above.
>
> No one is suggesting using i-RAM as direct memory, and indeed that
> would be bizarre since i-RAM converts normal RAM into a disk
> device which you then access over SATA.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy

I'm thinking this product woudl rock in terms of linux
firewalls/routers.......memory with a battery backup - another
requirement to up the availability of open source solutions....no hard
drive and no PXE boot server in a back closet for these devices and
frees up memory a small amount of memory...

Reliability - It just stinks when you lose both a primary and failover
secondary device for hardware problems at the same time (seems like we
lose more hard drives these days than anything).

For servers, you're talking a device that comes to the table offering
bus speeds.  Mostly zero latency and capable of line speed.  Develop
your solution based on network performance and this device gives you a
shot of adrenaline in the performance run.

I'd be awesome if they had a ddr2 and sata-2 version, hopefully it's in
the works.

Has anyone worked with these in a solution that makes this device the
only storage device on a system?  I'd be interested in hearing more
about this subject as this gets rid of drive seek times.

CLD