Re: i-ram vs. tmpfs (was: Re: Mail clustering)

On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 02:35:59PM +0200, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> On 05.04.07 22:19, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > we're both saying NOT to use it as a swap device, but to put that 4GB
> > RAM into the system instead (or as well as, if you need both).
>
> and I'm asking if you are sure that will not slow down your system speed.
> The access to this memory will be slower than access to your main RAM,
> because it's limited with PCI/SATA bus speed. Using that memory as RAM may
> slow down your system.

I don't understand.  The i-RAM takes normal RAM.  If you're swapping
then that normal RAM is best put in your motherboard as normal RAM,
not in some funky RAM-as-SATA device to use as swap.

> So I'm asking you again if you are sure that using i-RAM as direct memory
> will not slow down your system as described above.

No one is suggesting using i-RAM as direct memory, and indeed that
would be bizarre since i-RAM converts normal RAM into a disk
device which you then access over SATA.

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB