Re: windows dynamic storage

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 01:28:29AM +0100, Wojciech Ziniewicz wrote:
> Does anybody have any experience with mounting / recovering / managing
> windows dynamic storage volumes under debian/linux ? We are backing
> up some of our windows servers with SATA hotswappable disks that are
> bound to each other (or in other words "linked" together) with windows
> dynamic storage. The backing up machine that runs on debian etch can
> mount only the first drive that is containg partial data. Some of ntfs
> files are something like hard links to the filesystem on the one or
> two other disks but when trying to read there is "Input/Output Error".
>
> WDS is required by one of our apps so we cant get rid of this S*** .
>
> Hope anybody will help.

i've never used WDS.

the only thing i can think of is to mount the windows drives onto your
linux box over the network (i.e. smbfs), and use rsync to back them up.
rsync only copies the files that have changed since the last backup, and
you can even configure it to do versioned backups - so you can keep the
last N versions of a changed file.

alternatively, use amanda or some other tape backup program to do the
backups. if you don't have a tape drive, amanda can be configured to
backup to disk.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

BOFH excuse #61: not approved by the FCC