Re: RedHat Kernel SRPM

Andrew Miehs wrote:
kern2deb can only repackage specific releases - kernel-2.6.9-22.EL.src.rpm is supported however kernel-2.6.9-42.0.3.EL.src.rpm is not.

Urgh.  :(

Thought about that, but I really wanted the 'Enterprise' kernel as that is what our hardware suppliers require... makes life easier when it comes to support queries....

Hrm. You may end up somewhat stuck unless you're actually running RHEL then. :(

Will definitely have a look at that, thanks. I have finally had a look at the Spec file - I found that the order in which to apply patches is fairly easy to read out of this file,

*nod* .spec files are fairly transparent; although RPM *does* have a macro language with a few things that are, um, obscure (to say the least <g>).

so if your tool doesn't work,

Which it probably won't. <g> It handles most simple .spec files fine, but complex ones (like, oh, say, kernel .spec files <g>) will almost certainly give it indigestion due to unsupported macros.

I will simply create a perl script to grep out the order, and patch the kernel. I would then use the normal make-kpkg to build the kernel from the patched source tree.

*nod* That should work OK; I don't recall whether there's extra magic in the unpacking of sources before patches are applied. (The %setup macro does a number of things in unpacking an upstream tarball, depending on the options used.)

I *do* recall that there's a lot of macro logic to apply certain patches for certain arches and/or kernel sub-versions (-smp, -bigmem off the top of my head).

kernel-2.6.9-5.EL.src.rpm is avaialble - but I was looking for 'Update 2', 'Update 4' etc - and these do not all seem to be in the .../update/.../ directories... - The real problem being, that I don't know how to find out which update refers to which kernel :-)

Ah, OK. IIRC, there's only one kernel update for any given "Update nn" cycle; unless a *REALLY* nasty security bug came out. If you wander around (eg) vault.centos.org, you may be able to at least get a good idea which kernel package revisions were released with which update level. I'm not sure if RedHat has partitioned things off the way CentOS seems to have done.

-kgd