Re: RedHat Kernel SRPM

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 10:35:10AM +0100, Andrew Miehs wrote:
> I have the issue that I need to compile a RedHat kernel due to a
> driver/ support issue.
>
> I pulled the SRPM from ftp.redhat.com:/pub/..../updates/.../
>
> This file contains a vanilla kernel, lots of patches and a
> kernel26.spec file. kern2deb can convert this to a normal kernel - but
> it only seems to do this for specific versions of the kernel - it does
> not seem to know how to use the .spec file.

why don't you just download the vanilla source from kernel.org, and the
driver patches from redhat (or wherever else they may be found), patch the
kernel source and build a kernel package as normal with make-kpkg?

i.e. exactly as you would do for any machine if you want to avoid having
the ideologically butchered debian stock kernels(*), plus whatever patches
you need for your hardware.

(IMO, it's a good idea to compile your own custom kernel for EVERY
machine, anyway. stock kernels are good for installing a new machine,
but not for running a server with).

(*) note: don't download the kernel source package from debian.org (or
mirrors). debian kernels are butchered in the name of lunatic extremist
ideology. go straight to the upstream source at kernel.org (or your
local mirror).

craig

--