Re: RedHat Kernel SRPM

Hi Kris

On 05/01/2007, at 5:21 PM, Kris Deugau wrote:
Do you mean "kern2deb can only convert the vanilla kernel"? "kern2deb can only recognize a few specific patches"?

kern2deb can only repackage specific releases - kernel-2.6.9-22.EL.src.rpm is supported however kernel-2.6.9-42.0.3.EL.src.rpm is not.

Does anyone have more experience on getting this done?

Hrm. You might be best off just snagging the binary kernel .rpm (which you may have to snag from a third-party RHEL repackager like CentOS), installing that, and putting up with the (minor, IMO) headache of your kernel not integrating with the rest of the Debian packages.

Thought about that, but I really wanted the 'Enterprise' kernel as that is what our hardware suppliers require... makes life easier when it comes to support queries....

Other than that, you might try a tool I wrote that can build .deb packages from RPM spec files. See http://www.deepnet.cx/debbuild/.

Will definitely have a look at that, thanks. I have finally had a look at the Spec file - I found that the order in which to apply patches is fairly easy to read out of this file, so if your tool doesn't work, I will simply create a perl script to grep out the order, and patch the kernel. I would then use the normal make-kpkg to build the kernel from the patched source tree.

Hopefully, one day all drivers will be open source.... and then I woke up...

PS: Is there any way of getting the normal kernel from the RedHat site/ not an update?

Define "normal" vs "update". Do you mean the kernel that shipped with the original release of whichever RedHat release you're looking at? Try ftp.redhat.com:/pub/..../os/.../ instead.

kernel-2.6.9-5.EL.src.rpm is avaialble - but I was looking for 'Update 2', 'Update 4' etc - and these do not all seem to be in the .../update/.../ directories... - The real problem being, that I don't know how to find out which update refers to which kernel :-)

Thanks for the advice,

Cheers

Andrew