Re: Hardware recommendations for Debian server

Andy Smith wrote:

buy a motherboard that has serial console redirect in the BIOS
It's really worth the premium.

I've not found any colo providing a serial port connection with the colo service. Any who do, surely want extra $$$ for it.

Instead, I use:

/dev/hda1      dedicated grub partition (very small)
/dev/hda2      swap
/dev/hda3      system
/dev/hda4      rescue

with grub fallback, and also grub-set-default in a startup script. If "system" does not boot, then "rescue" does on the next try, and I can fix things remotely. Using nfs, I can even load a whole new distro into "system."

Remote management, cheapo motherboard style.