Re: Areca SATA cards

Claus Herwig said at 15/03/2006 18:43:
> I use the newest arcmsr driver 1.20.0x.12 from their website, compiled
> into a vanilla kernel, which works for me quite well. Compiled without
> any problems with 2.6.15.6.

They do compile very easily.

> As far as I know, thats not really correct. arcmsr is part of the -mm
> kernel tree, it's still not in the mainline. But there are prebuilt

OK, thanks for the update here - saved me having to look.

> debian install disks with arcmsr integrated at:
> http://www.tienhuis.nl/areca/
> So, if you want to stay with debian stock kernel, just use them.

Ah, yes. Forgot to mention them.

They don't really help you for Debian security updates that change the ABI (like the forthcoming Sarge one). You still need to ensure that the new modules are there before you reboot.

> I'm missing syslog messages or /proc support, too. But you got
> S.M.A.R.T.-support, snmp-support, a command line tool, a software-based
> webserver for monitor+config and a mailer tool which sends mail on
> controller events. I'm using the last one, works quite well.

The tools you get are very comprehensive and I really like the cards.

The main problem being that my main monitoring is done using remote logging and logfile analysis. I just wish they'd do what most other drivers do and log using the already available methods instead of inventing their own.

> I bought my areca controller just recently, so can't really tell you
> about day-to-day experience. But I did some performance tests and was
> satisfied ;-)

Exactly. A performance review I read was the main reason I asked our supplier to let me try one.

Ronny
--
Ronny Adsetts
Technical Director