Re: Areca SATA cards

Cian Davis said at 15/03/2006 17:14:

> I noticed that - but the 3Ware site suggested the 9550 driver wouldn't
> be in until the 2.6.14 kernel. And I don't want to buy a 9550 and find
> that it doesn't work with a stock sarge kernel.

Any reason not to go for a 9500?

> I assume they are a compile job rather than in sarge/apt?

They are tar binaries downloaded from the support site. If you're planning on using the cards on a few machines, I suppose you could wrap the tars in a deb for ease of distribution (internally of course).

> Any experience
> with using OCE? It is a click-and-pray job or reliable? Any stats on how
> long a rebuild takes?

Not tried it. One of those things that I intended to try with a pre-production box but never got around to.

> The reason I'm looking at the 9550 is the SATA2 capability. We're a
> computer society so won't be replacing the hardware and would like some
> amount of future-proof. That's also why I'm considering the Areca -
> PCI-E connectivity is nice. Mind you, the budget may not stretch to even
> a 3ware card.

The speed of technology advances means you don't get too much future proofing these days. Make sure you're enclosure will hold more disks than you need assuming you have the budget.

> The server room is 2 buildings away so that's not much good. No
> notification if a disk dies is a kicker....

Very true. I have no doubt you could script something up to monitor the card. A quick google may reveal someone who has already done it. The command line tools are fairly complete.

Ronny
--
Ronny Adsetts
Technical Director