Re: bandwidth aggregation

> On Nov 17, Gary Smithe illuminated :

> We'd like to aggregate bandwidth in such a way that all public
> addresses still work, but that bandwidth is somewhat evenly
> distributed.  This aggregation would hopefully have the side-effect of
> preventing outages for any of our customers if any 1 of the upstream
> links fails.

I have seen a small black box unit which will do this.  I have set up
this exact arrangement for one for one of our clients - a 3 person office
to do load sharing and balancing across two ADSL links.
Admittedly, 3 people and a total of 2MB is not quite the same scale ;)

Fortigate is the company.  They make firewall appliances and they're
pretty damn cheap for what you get out of them.
http://www.fortinet.com

Linux wise, google gave me these
http://www.linux.com/howtos/Adv-Routing-HOWTO/lartc.loadshare.shtml

OpenBSD might do what you want with CARP and pfsync.
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/carp.html

sadly, I couldn't find anything with the magic word "HOWTO" in its title
:(

./jp
--
Jean-Paul Blaquiere