Re: Apache .wmv file help

On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 10:37:26AM -0300, Gonzalo Arana wrote:
> "while it is not perfect" ....
>
> On 10/12/06, Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> wrote:
> >On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 10:50:01AM -0300, Gonzalo Arana wrote:
> >> As a practial solution, while it is not perfect, you may block empty
> >> referers, for instance.
> >
> >and anyone who wants to download it can easily fake up a HTTP_REFERER
> >header. most snarfing tools (including wget, snarf, LWP) provide some
> >mechanism for specifying the HTTP_REFERER.

my point was that saying "while it is not perfect..." implies that it had
any value at all, when the truth is that it is so trivially easy to bypass
that it has no value.

it's akin to saying "while it is not perfect, a padlock made out of
paper can keep people out of your gate".

craig

ps: top-quoting is evil.  replies go *beneath* the quoted text, not above.

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>           (part time cyborg)