Re: Apache .wmv file help

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 03:44:00AM -0700, Sekhar wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I have a client hosting website and they are having one
> .wmv file to upload in to their web page the problem is
> when they directly play using embeded tag in HTML every
> one can view the souce code of that URL so any one can
> download it.

And that is a problem how...?

> Now i want to know  is there any options how to hide this
> .wmv file from public so that they can't see when any user
> try to view source in a web page.

If the file can be played it can be saved. There is no way that the
web server can know whether the application retrieving the .wmv file
is writing its output to the screen or to the hard disk. All
obfuscation techniques are good for is pissing people off.

> What other options are possible for this problem.or mod rewrite
> or any other soultion is much appriciated.

Optimum solution is to get the client to understand that the only
effective way to prevent people downloading the .wmv file is not to
put it on the web in the first place.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons