Re: NEVER USE SORBS

On 27.07.06 15:03, Peter Klavins wrote:
> I rent a business level ADSL line here in Italy because it's convenient
> for me especially because competition has lowered prices to the point
> where for example 6 Mbit ADSL with no upload/download limits (which on
> the contrary is common back home in Australia) costs of the order of 50
> AUD a month flat.  I got the business level ADSL instead of the consumer
> level ADSL precisely because it offered a static IP address, that indeed
> has not changed in all the years that I have had the service, regardless
> of reboots.  But, importantly, it is assigned by DHCP, presumably for
> the convenience of the customer in not having to be a master at
> configuring their network equipment, just simply plug in and follow the
> standard instructions on the consumer-level ADSL modem.

Having/using DHCP does NOT mean that you adress is dynamic. Even with DHCP,
on dialup or aDSL links you CAN have statically assigned address that is
always assigned to you, and only to you.

> But you're saying that the one type of server I shouldn't connect is a
> mail server?  Because I couldn't cope?  I don't think that's reasonable.
> I understand that you may not want to accept mail directly from me
> because of arbitrary rules like you wouldn't accept mail from someone
> born in Australia but living in Italy, but I don't think it is
> reasonable for all the mail admins in the world to not accept my mail
> because it is assigned from a pool of addresses for all I know may be
> designated somewhere as being dynamic (my bet is that they are:  what
> does 217-133-15-nnn.b2b.tiscali.it say as an IP address to you?).

He's saying, that if address is dynamically assigned, it is (will be) listed
in dynamic address lists (SORBS, NJABL and MAPS do have such lists) and
remote mailservers will often refuse getting mail from you.

Also, if you will try to receive mail at dynamic address, your link may
break, the address can be assigned to someone else, and if there will be
running SMTP server, it will probably reject mail for your domain, send
notices about non-existing address(es) or someone else may get to the mail
and read it.

Why don't you ask your ISP for statically assigned address, if you want to
send/receive mail there? They will probably give you IP from another pool
that is not listed in such lists and you won't have any of problems
mentioned above.