Re: More sorbs blacklisting

On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 10:31:32AM +0800, Shane Chrisp wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-07-09 at 20:50 +0100, Pigeon wrote:
> > The rules are ridiculous and arbitrary. I don't see why either I or my
> > ISP should have to jump through ridiculous hoops to resolve this
> > problem, especially given the arrogant, unhelpful and uncommunicative
> > nature of the SORBS management as evidenced by innumerable Google
> > search results and the SORBS website itself. SORBS's requirement of a
> > payment of $50 for a delisting - whether or not that would apply in
> > this case - is also very likely to put an ISP off. They could be
> > liable for a similar extortion over every IP block they own... Will my
> > ISP *really* be willing to set a TTL of 43200 on the DNS records for
> > my IP when they use something different as standard? I doubt it...
>
> If you go an re-read the FAQ page at SORBS, the $50 donation is ONLY for
> those scumbag spammers to get delisted. There is nothing to pay to get
> out of the DUHL.

I realise that - hence my inclusion of "whether or not that would
apply in this case" in my post. It's still an offputting thing to
discover on the site... And while it might not be relevant in my
particular case or that of the OP, it doesn't take much googling to
find numerous cases where it is relevant, where some random server has
bounced a spam with a forged From header of a SORBS address, the
bounce has gone to SORBS and the result is that the whole IP block has
gone on the $50 list. I would imagine that if an ISP has had this
happen a few times they might be fairly unhelpful in responding to
requests for delisting of an IP block for whatever reason.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons