Re: More sorbs blacklisting

On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 03:09:30AM +0200, Anders Breindahl wrote:
> That's reason enough for me (albeit, I wouldn't assume that an employer
> would be as easily convinced) to continue the non-binary choices of
> bayesian and otherwise content-oriented filtering methods, while
> something fundamentally fixing the feasibility of spamming is made up.

That is how I filter spam, using spambayes, and I must say it is very
effective once it is trained.

It also has certain distinct advantages as a "global" solution to
spam filtering:

- All false positives are held on the recipient's box. They are not
  lost, they do not disappear into a black hole, and the recipient can
  manually check every few days to make sure the spam filter hasn't
  caught anything it shouldn't have.

- The processing is carried out on the recipient's box. The majority
  of PCs have huge amounts of processing power which spends most of
  its time waiting for the user to press the next key. A small amount
  of this spare CPU time can easily be used for content-based spam
  filtering without the problems of running a CPU-intensive spam
  filter on an ISP's mailserver.

- The filtering criteria are determined according to what the
  recipient does and doesn't consider to be spam, not what the ISP
  more-or-less arbitrarily decides on the user's behalf. (Doctors and
  people working in the pharmaceutical industry might not appreciate
  having emails mentioning a certain drug beginning with "V"
  automatically canned, for example...)

It does have the disadvantage that it requires a certain amount of
clue on the part of the user, but I suspect this problem can be
minimised by an intelligently-designed and friendly user interface. Or
am I overly optimistic? :-)

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons