Re: OT: sorbs blacklisting scam

On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 09:19:58PM -0400, Chris Wagner wrote:
> At 04:47 PM 4/26/2006 +0300, Juha-Matti Tapio wrote:
> >I do not understand what kinds of legal ground you believe you have, but
> >then again, I am not a lawyer nor do I understand your local legislation.
> >Though, if there were legal grounds, I think spammers would have found them
> >by now.
> The only legal grounds I can think of are libel or defamation.  By
> publishing false and slanderous information and refusing to correct it they
> are guilty of libel.

I think this would be relevant if there were a case where Spews made a
mistake. Perhaps a typo or something like that. I do not know the details on
how they work internally, but I would expect that completely mistaken
listings would be fixed if pointed out. Any libel accusations would propably
not work if Spews could point out that either there was at one time spam
coming from the block or that the listing is an escalation for the upstream
ISP. Since no one has brought forth a specific case in this thread, I can
only guess what kind of situation is behind this frustration. However, I
have a hard time believing that Spews would refuse to fix a completely
incorrect listings.

I have often seen cases were people are upset about escalating
listings, but they are hardly illegal and they do work pretty well in
stopping spam.