Re: Questions about software RAID level 1 (how long should it take to sync, etc?) [solved!]

Thought I'd post an update to my problem, since I know you're all
dying to find out the latest details.

After googling a bit more, I seem to have found a solution to my problem:

It seems that when I followed rootraiddoc.97, "Step 4.3 Copy your
Debian system to RAID device.", issuing the command "cp -axu /
/mnt/md0" didn't copy over my /dev directory, which was mounted on a
separate partition (tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs) and since I used the -x
switch to cp, it forced it to stay on the current file system (which I
thought was okay, since I figured /dev was populated dynamically by
udev anyways).

In any case, I simply booted from /dev/hda1, mounted /dev/hdc1, then
copied /dev/console from hda1 to hdc1.  After this, I was able to
disconnect hda and boot into /dev/md0 on hdc1.  I guess I should've
figured this out when I first ran into the "Warning: unable to open an
initial console" error when booting from a raid1/md enabled kernel,
but at that point I switched to using an initrd image and everything
seemed fine (how wrong I was! :)

So in conclusion, I'm still unable to boot from a kernel with an
initrd image containing the md and raid1 modules (I'm sure this has
something to do with udev not creating /dev/md0 properly), but I can
successfully boot from a raid1/md enabled kernel.  So after a very
large diversion, I'm back to my original problem of trying to decrease
the sync time.  I've now disconnected the CDROM drive from the
secondary ide channel, and I've replaced the 40 conductor cable with
an 80 conductor cable.  Hopefully it won't take me 25 hours to
synchronize the second time around!

Thanks to everyone who offered advice and suggestions, your help was
greatly appreciated (and possibly this thread may help some other poor
soul in the future, should they run into a similar situation).

Mike

P.S. This thread was also posted to the linux-raid mailing list, found
here: http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-raid@vger.kernel.org/msg04311.html