Re: Debian mail dotlocking issues

On Sun, Mar 12, 2006 at 08:51:29PM +0000, Keith Edmunds wrote:
> >Basically, what's the best way to make sure postfix, dovecot, mutt, pine,
> >etc., all share locks properly without otherwising comprimising system
> >security? (Other than switching to maildir style boxes, which I'm not
> >quite ready to do).
> Why not ensure that mutt and pine access mail via dovecot's IMAP
> interface, and let (only) dovecot worry about locking? We use Postfix +
> Dovecot + a variety of mail clients without problem, but all the MUAs
> speak IMAP to Dovecot.

That's an interesting suggestion. I had the impression that IMAP was
slower than directly accessing the folders, and perhaps more memory
intensive (we're an virtual server with limited resources), but maybe I'
mistaken...? I suppose the only other downside is that I would have to go
and mess with everyone's .muttrc files, right? Also, is there any way to
prevent people from using non-IMAP methods of accessing folders--or do we
just tell them not to do it?
--
Adam Rosi-Kessel
http://adam.rosi-kessel.org